Friday, October 12, 2012

Refuge.

This week has been really tough. 

One of my dear friends, Sheila, is battling breast cancer right now. (hence the pink!) 

As I was talking with her yesterday right before she was going in for her radiation treatment I felt a sense of sadness. She was sharing with me how sore she is and how humiliating it is to have to do the treatment in the way she does. 

Probably the worst feeling is when a friend is hurting and you physically cannot be there. When my parents were going through their divorce I was at Sheilas all the time hanging out and falling in love with her son Randy, her sisters little boy James, and their family. 

Their family helped me feel a sense of normalcy. They showed me how to love well. Literally their whole family including their siblings, cousins, and parents welcomed me with open arms and allowed me to enjoy family events with them that I didn't want to do with my family. 

I cannot express in words how thankful I am to them. 

I want to ask for prayers for her. She is one the most faithful women I have ever met. She has such a beautiful heart. Despite all of the tough things that are happening to her and her sister she has remained faithful to the Lord and never fails to bring glory back to God. 

Seeing all this pink around campus has brought new meaning to me. Having dealt with cancer earlier this month with my friend John's mom passing away it is really hitting hard. Pray for cancer patients this week. Every day is a day of survival and a day to celebrate. 

I have been really convicted this week about complaining. I often will "vent" to someone about something and as I am looking back on the situation I realize how much I really complain. 

I was shown this week through a book and through talking with Sheila to be thankful for everything. Instead of complaining about it I need to figure out how to fix it and turn that complaint into a praise. Looking on the bright side is totally something that I need to constantly be reminded of. 

It shouldn't matter how bad a situation I think I am going through is, I have God on my side and nothing can really get better than that. (I am still praying that this would become heart knowledge :)) 

I have just not really been desiring the Lord this week and that is really hard for me because my relationship with the Lord has been so great since school started up again. It is always hard to go through a rough patch. 

I just feel like I am not getting much out of reading the word, my prayer life this week, or worship. I am absolutely just going through the motions this week and that is really hard. 

When you know what it feels like to be loved by and be close with the greatest God to feel disconnected is very difficult. 

I am going away for the weekend so I am praising God for the time that I will have with a great friend and for the time He is giving me to relax. 

It is hard for me to accept the fact that it is okay to be have a rough week and you do not have to live a seemingly perfect life all the time. It is okay that I am not okay and to show other that I am struggling. 

I came across this verse in my devotional yesterday and thought I would share. It is little moments and verses like this that remind me of my position in Christ even in the tough times. 

                                             "Yes, my soul, find rest in God, 
                                  my hope comes from Him, 
                          truly he is my rock and my salvation, 
                          he is my fortress, I shall not be shaken. 
                       My salvation and my honor depend on God; 
                                 he is my mighty rock my refuge. 
                           Trust in Him at all times, you people;
                                pour out your hearts to Him, 
                                        for God is our refuge." 
                                               Pslam 62:5-8

Even when its hard I am seeking to find my refuge in Christ and sticking with Him always. I am learning to tell God my complaints instead of people because He understands and helps me see things from His perspective. 

Enjoy your weekends! 

Love, 
Allison 
                             


No comments:

Post a Comment